Monday, July 30, 2012

My Life

My life is a bit of a wreck. I went to prep school and a well-respected college. I participated in academic competitions while at both, although I understood it as being silly. Eventually, I went to law school and graduated from law school instead of dropping out on the recommendation of my family while I would have preferred dropping out. After law school, I took a class on passing the bar exam. Nevertherless, I am still unemployable.
I used to read the blogs against legal education, but by now I have understood their main points and understand no reason to continue to read them. Anyway, I agree with their idea that (1) people should not go to law school unless they will attend one of the most respected law schools or they are confident in being able to get a job afterwards and (2) the structure of American legal education could easily be reformed. Nevertheless, I really disliked and dislike the intense resentment that goes with this. These people who made the bad decision to go to law school believe that they should not be responsible for their own bad decision and that other people should pay for the bad decision to go to law school. I accept that there should be claims for fraud, where one side lied etc., and that there is a human right to avoid the most dreadful poverty and to participate in economic progress. Nevertheless, I do not think there is a good reason to give people who are poor for one reason that does not involve somebody else making them poor by doing something inherently wrong, to have any more rights than people who are poor for another reason. In fact, if you read some of these anti-law school blogs, you would believe that somebody from a lower-middle-class family who is poor because she took out thousands of dollars of loans to go to law school, and then did not excel there, and so does not have a high-paying job, should be treated better than somebody whose mother died of an overdose, whose father was killed in prison, whose relatives were indifferent and had no money anyway to go to college, let alone law school, in the first place, even with loans. The entire idea is foolishness.
Nevertheless, I am confident that I will travel through time and be a good person. In late 2004, my life became characterized by sin by me and by scorn by others. In late 2004 I watched The Shawshank Redemption and Pulp Fiction, which I realize are movies from the 1990s, within a few days of each other. If I watch these films within a few days of each other, then I will be able to travel through time.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home